St Colman's School was opened on 7th April, 1927 to provide primary Catholic education for the families of the Home Hill district.
The school was operated by the Sisters of Mercy until 1967 when it became a systemic school operated by the Townsville Catholic Education Office. Due to a decline in the number of religious and increase in the numbers of lay people who pursued a Ministry of Teaching, the school became entirely lay staffed by 1988. New standards in education have necessitated expansion and redesign of buildings and the inclusion of a preschool in 1991. These have enabled modern teaching methodologies to be implemented and a developmental school based curriculum to be implemented.